The automotive aftermarket consists of all the steps prolonging the life of a vehicle. Once off the manufacturer’s lot the automotive aftermarket begins. Repair shops, collision centres, auto parts stores, as well as manufacturers of all vehicle parts, chemicals, tools, equipment, and accessories make up this market.
4 000 000
people working in the automotive aftermarket accross North America
$337 billion dollars
of replacement parts, paint, and related products in North America.
Retail sales in the automotive aftermarket are over $19 billion in Canada.
- C$2.67 Billion: Addressable warehouse distribution segment for the automotive aftermarket parts market
- Average age of car park of 10 years in 2015, the highest it has ever been
- 16,000 KM: Average KM driven per car (2015), up from prior year
- 25.6 Million in light vehicle registrations (2015), up from prior year
- Over 20,000 unique combinations of engines and body styles on the road today
- 1.9 Million in new car registrations (2015), up from prior year
- US$2.7 Billion: Addressable automotive paint and related products market
- Average age of car park of 11 to 12 years, relatively flat since 2015
- 3.2 Trillion: Total miles driven in 2016 has increased for five straight years
- 263.6 Million in light vehicle registrations in 2015, up from prior year
- 17.5 Million in new car registrations in 2016, up from prior year
- 11.3 Million of the 14.5 Million covered car accidents in the US each year are repairable
- £4.1 Billion: Addressable automotive aftermarket parts market, nearly the size of Uni-Select's US and Canadian markets combined
- Average age of car park of 7.7 years in 2016, up nearly 15% over the last 10 years
- 325.1 Billion: Total miles driven in 2017, which continues to increase from prior years
- 33.5 Million in light vehicle registrations in 2015, up from prior year
- 2.2 Million in new car registrations in 2017, down from prior year
- Annual mandatory testing for all vehicles three years of age and older
An aging population, increased sophistication of vehicles, and a growing number of imported vehicles led to growth in the DIFM segment compared to the DIY segment. The DIFM market is expected to grow 3.5% until 2017.
The North American automotive aftermarket is stable and is expected to remain strong in coming years
To learn more about the automotive aftermarket in Canada, visit www.aiacanada.com.
To learn more about the automotive aftermarket in the United States, visit www.autocare.org.